Hyperhidrosis and Excessive Sweating Treatments
Our team can offer a safe and effective treatment for hyperhidrosis symptoms. Book an appointment today!
What is hyperhidrosis?
The common medical term for excessive sweating is hyperhidrosis. This includes abnormal sweating you may experience outwith normal heat or exercise-related sweat.
Regular and even prescription antiperspirants are not very effective for those with hyperhidrosis.
Botox® injections are a relatively new treatment option for hyperhidrosis but they are proven to deliver excellent results.
How can Botox® help with hyperhidrosis and excessive sweating?
Botox® can help treat hyperhidrosis by blocking the nerves that are responsible for activating your sweat glands.
With Botox® injections in the area of your body that commonly sweats, the overactive nerves are essentially paralyzed. This means that these nerves can no longer signal your sweat glands to activate.
Botox® only prevents sweating in the specific area where the injections are placed.
Where can Botox® be used for hyperhidrosis?
The most common use of Botox® to treat hyperhidrosis is for underarm sweating. However, it may also be used in other areas such as the hands, feet and face.
Recent studies into the treatment have also found that it successfully treats sweaty palms in 80-90% of cases and reduce forehead sweat by 75%.
How long will the Botox® treatment last?
A typical Botox® treatment for hyperhidrosis lasts for 6 to 12 months when used underarm but for shorter periods when used on hands and feet.
What to expect during treatment?
- The treatment area is cleaned using wipes.
- A numbing cream is applied.
- The treatment area is marked up using a medical pencil.
- Injections are then placed into the treatment area.
- Treatment can take around 15 minutes.
- Results begin within the first few days but can take up to 14 days for full effect.
Are there any side effects?
Botox® is a very safe treatment choice with minimal side effects, the most common being mild discomfort or bruising post-treatment. This is usually quick to resolve.
- Please do not consume alcohol or ibuprofen 24 hours prior or 48 hours post-treatment.
- Avoid exercise 24 hours prior or 48 hours post-treatment.
- Avoid using antiperspirant or deodorant the day of treatment and 24 hours post-treatment.
- It is advised not to have a very hot shower/bath/sauna 12 hours post-treatment.
- Covid booster shots: you must wait one week before or after treatment.
You cannot have this treatment if:
- You are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- You are under 18 years of age.
- You have a hypersensitivity to Botox® or any of its excipients.
- You have any known history of keloid scarring or hypertrophic scarring.
- You have active skin eruptions at the site of the proposed treatment - such as cysts, pimples, rashes or hives.
- You have any bleeding disorders.
View Our Extensive Patient Testimonials
Find out what our patients say about their experience.View Testimonials Gallery
Are you unhappy with your smile, do you get embarrassed by your crooked and discoloured teeth? Is it difficult to eat the foods you love? Would you like to replace missing teeth with a fixed solution, have straighter whiter teeth and get the smile that you’ve always wanted? Call the Berkeley Clinic today to book your consultation and get the smile you've always wanted.Contact us today