Safe Amalgam Removal In Glasgow, Scotland
Mercury Amalgam Fillings Removal
Mercury Safe Dentistry
Some people are anxious about dental amalgam and potential exposure to mercury from existing fillings or during the removal and replacement process. We have a long-standing reputation for helping people who are anxious about dentistry for a wide variety of reasons. If you are anxious about amalgam fillings and mercury, we promise to listen to your concerns as part of your overall dental care assuming that it is clinically appropriate to remove and replace these fillings.
Reasons for Amalgam Removal
Amalgam fillings can be removed and replaced for a number of reasons.
- For a whiter, more attractive smile
- Many people have concerns about the mercury contained within amalgam fillings
- Decay under the filling
- Broken or worn fillings
The Berkeley Clinic Safe Amalgam Removal Team
Dr Gow is president of the International Society for Dental Anxiety Management and has been mercury amalgam free for over ten years.
If you are anxious about amalgam filling removal and mercury, we understand. Our experienced team will listen to your concerns as part of your overall dental care and ensure that it is clinically appropriate to remove and replace these fillings.
Amalgam Fillings Removal: Removing and Replacing Metal Fillings Protocols
What are amalgam fillings?
Commonly recognised as silver fillings, amalgam fillings are made with a mixture of liquid mercury and powdered alloy consisting of tin, silver and copper. The materials are worked into a paste and hardened within your tooth.
Mercury can be a dangerous material to work with. If you have an amalgam filling, it will release low levels of mercury vapour which can be breathed in and absorbed by your system. Although the health risk is small, some will be more vulnerable to their effects than others, such as pregnant people and children.
If you have an allergy to mercury, you should not get an amalgam filling. In today’s world, there are certainly safer and more discreet options out there.
We promise to follow SMART protocols as part of our ‘Safe Amalgam Removal’ at The Berkeley Clinic. These protocols include:
- An amalgam separator collects mercury amalgam waste safely and does not release it into the effluent from the dental clinic.
- Each clinical room where mercury fillings are removed has adequate filtration in place. We use the IQ Air filtration system.
- Patients are given the option of using a slurry of activated charcoal to rinse and swallow before the procedure.
- Protective covers can be provided for the patient.
- Non-latex nitrile gloves will be utilised by the dentist and the dental team.
- Face shields are used by the dentist and the dental team.
- A properly sealed, respiratory grade mask rated to capture mercury may be worn by the dentist and the dental team, or they may also wear a separate air supply.
- External air or oxygen is delivered via a nasal mask for the patient also is used to ensure that the patient does not inhale any mercury vapour or amalgam particulate during the procedure.
- A dental dam that is made with non-latex nitrile material is placed and adequately sealed in the patient’s mouth.
- A saliva ejector may be placed under the rubber dam to reduce mercury exposure.
- Copious amounts of water to reduce heat and a conventional high-speed evacuation device to capture mercury discharges be used to reduce ambient mercury levels.
- The amalgam is sectioned into chunks and removed in as large of pieces as possible using a small diameter carbide drill.
- Once the removal process is complete, the patient’s mouth is thoroughly flushed with water and then rinsed out with a slurry of charcoal.
It is also essential to be aware that we can’t guarantee absolutely zero exposure to mercury during amalgam removal despite strict protocols and our best efforts.
Dental Finance to spread the cost of amalgam removal
To help our patients manage the costs of cosmetic dental work, such as the safe removal of amalgam fillings, The Berkeley Clinic offers a wide range of dental finance options that helps make your desired treatment more accessible and affordable.
With our flexible dental finance plans, you can spread the cost of your treatment over several months without accruing any interest. Our finance partners have different payment plans to suit your situation, including short-term 0% interest loans as well as interest-bearing options at 9.9% for those wishing to spread the cost over a longer period. Whatever help or support you need when it comes to paying for your private dental treatment, our finance plans can work for you.
Dental finance is the perfect way to make necessary dental procedures more affordable. It can also be the solution to helping you achieve the smile you’ve always dreamed of. Get in touch today to find out more about dental finance for amalgam removal.
View Our Extensive Patient Testimonials
Find out what our patients say about their experience.View Testimonials Gallery
Are you unhappy with your smile, do you get embarrassed by your crooked and discoloured teeth? Is it difficult to eat the foods you love? Would you like to replace missing teeth with a fixed solution, have straighter whiter teeth and get the smile that you’ve always wanted? Call the Berkeley Clinic today to book your consultation and get the smile you've always wanted.Contact us today